[ExI] Reverse Flynn Effect - Blame Smartphones!

Kelly Anderson postmowoods at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 06:58:36 UTC 2024

I wonder if the reverse Flynn effect being noted here is being offset
by the development of other more relevant forms of intelligence.
Possibly social intelligence. All other things being equal,
intelligence is increased by the availability of better, more
nutritious foodstuffs. And one could easily make the argument that the
current brain drain is due to industrialized food. I'd like to see if
the researchers looked at nutrition as a possible explanation.

However, I suspect that there might also be a change in what's
important for "survival of attention" in the memes inside the brains
of our young people. When our ancestors went agrarian, their brains
changed to become more social. Is it possible that we're taking the
next step along that road, and that phones are the next step. They
told us in the 80s that MTV was shortening our attention spans.
Certainly, many of us remember that trope. So there's also the problem
here that we are always looking at the new generation as worse than us
in some important way, at least since Socrates.

The new world created by cell phones requires a new type of
intelligence to "succeed" whatever that means. In my generation (the
very tail end of the baby boomers) success meant attending college.
Now, I think you could successfully argue that going to a university
is a sure road to financial insecurity and absolutely doesn't
guarantee you a better job. Perhaps STEM is still helpful in the short
term, but I suspect not in the long term. There are people nowadays
that make a living playing video games to be watched. That is, video
gaming has become a spectator sport in some corners. I find that
absolutely fascinating. Someone is going to have to design the sets
and scripts for the virtual sex games of the future. So many, many
jobs we haven't yet thought of.

So, are we seeing a reduction in the old form of intelligence that was
important to measure in 1950? Or an actual reduction in overall
intelligence of every kind? If one measured intelligence by one's
ability to write in cursive, harness a team for plowing, dressing a
stone, hurling an atlatl accurately or chipping a really nice obsidian
arrowhead, then indeed we would all be getting dumber. But is are
those the right measures for today?

One could argue with the advent of AI that the IQ form of intelligence
is becoming less important for the next generation. If they are seeing
that, then they could be reacting correctly to the new reality, in
paying attention to social intelligence which might well be the next
"success" making form of intelligence.

This article reeks of "not how we did it" bias. And I really wonder if
that's all we're really seeing here. I have a lot of confidence that
the next generation will figure it out... with the assistance of
machines... and they are learning what's necessary to survive and
thrive in the world we have created for them. Now, whether that world
is a fulfilling and exciting world is up to them to decide. I really
love some of the Youtube channels where people move back into the
woods and film their life as they try to live like our ancestors. But
only because of Youtube can they make their living this way. Do those
people have high IQs? Maybe. But you can bet that their social IQs are
off the charts, and that may be the most important thing for the
future.

Another thing that I'd bet kids are getting better at than us older
people is spotting the scam and fake news/information out there. That
probably takes a lot of brain power. Healthy skepticism of most of
what you look at has to have a cognitive price. teamwork and mutual
inspiration can be amazing. Look at the amazing rapid advancements in
the area of dance, body movement and parkour as people bounce ideas
off of each other on Youtube. That's not something IQ tests measure,
but we're certainly better at it now than we were 50 years ago. I have
never been able to stay up on a skateboard, and I doubt I'll ever
learn how.

All in all, I think this area deserves more study and more open minded
study. What ARE these kids learning if not the sorts of things being
tested by our antiquated IQ tests? I'd bet they are learning
SOMETHING. It's up to someone to figure out what. Do we really want
our grandkids to be solving the same sorts of problems we have solved
all our lives?

-Kelly

Here's ChatGPT's take on my question/answer after the above whack at
it myself...

Prompt:
If today's kids aren't learning the sorts of things that traditional
IQ tests test for, what kinds of things are they learning in today's
world that is preparing them for success in the age of cell phones,
AI, robotics and a social future?

ChatGPT:
Today's children are growing up in a rapidly evolving technological
and social landscape, which is shaping their learning and skill
development in unique ways, particularly preparing them for success in
an era dominated by cell phones, AI, robotics, and a rapidly evolving
social environment. Here are some key areas where they are gaining
skills and knowledge:

Digital Literacy: With the ubiquity of cell phones and computers, kids
are becoming highly adept at navigating digital environments. This
includes not just basic usage but also understanding how to find
information, evaluate its credibility, and use digital tools
creatively.

Coding and Computational Thinking: Many educational systems are now
incorporating coding and computational thinking into their curricula.
This doesn't just teach programming; it fosters problem-solving
skills, logical thinking, and creativity, which are essential in a
world where AI and robotics are increasingly prevalent.

Collaboration and Communication: The rise of social media and online
collaboration tools has made effective communication and teamwork
skills more important than ever. Kids are learning to collaborate with
others across different platforms and cultural boundaries.

Critical Thinking and Information Analysis: In an age of information
overload, the ability to critically evaluate information, discern
bias, and make informed decisions is a crucial skill. This is being
integrated into education through various subjects and projects.

Adaptability and Lifelong Learning: The fast pace of technological
change means that the ability to adapt and continuously learn new
skills is vital. Kids are being encouraged to be curious, seek out new
information, and be self-directed in their learning.

Ethical and Societal Implications of Technology: As AI and robotics
become more integrated into society, there's a growing emphasis on
understanding the ethical and societal implications of these
technologies. This includes issues like privacy, AI ethics, and the
impact of technology on human relationships.

Emotional Intelligence and Empathy: Recognizing the importance of
mental health and interpersonal skills, education is increasingly
focusing on emotional intelligence, empathy, and understanding diverse
perspectives.

Sustainability and Environmental Awareness: With growing concerns
about climate change and sustainability, children are learning about
environmental stewardship and the importance of sustainable practices,
which is essential for their future.

Entrepreneurship and Innovation: Encouraging entrepreneurial thinking,
creativity, and innovation prepares children for a future where they
may need to create their own opportunities or adapt to rapidly
changing job markets.

Global Awareness and Multicultural Competence: Exposure to diverse
cultures and global issues prepares children for a connected world
where understanding and respecting different perspectives is key.

These skills and knowledge areas are not only equipping children for
success in a technologically advanced future but also fostering a more
holistic and adaptive skill set that values both technical and soft
skills.

Back to Kelly -- PAS: (Post AI Script)
The sustainability, global thinking and empathy parts were completely
missed by me, but may be more important to the next generation. I'm
certainly not focused on that stuff as much as I hope our grandkids
are/will be. Given these three shapes, what is the next shape likely
to be? The one with less ice.

-Kelly

On Sun, Dec 31, 2023 at 9:44 AM BillK via extropy-chat