[ExI] Open Individualism

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 23:24:31 UTC 2024

On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 at 23:12, Jason Resch <jasonresch at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 13, 2024, 4:26 PM BillK via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>>
>> Ask an AI -
>> In Open Individualism, what does it mean to say "There is only one person"?
>>
>> Answer-
>> In Open Individualism, the statement "There is only one person" is a
>> philosophical proposition that challenges the conventional notion of
>> personal identity and individuality.
>

> I would say it only challenges the conventional notion of personal identity, but that it has no bearing on individuality.
>Jason
>------------------------------

Question -
What do you mean by "challenges the conventional notion of
personal identity and individuality".

Answer -
When I mention that Open Individualism challenges the conventional
notion of personal identity and individuality, I mean that it presents
a perspective that goes against the traditional understanding of what
it means to be an individual person.

In conventional thinking, personal identity is often associated with
the idea that each person is a distinct and separate entity with their
own unique consciousness and experiences. This understanding suggests
that personal identity is defined by characteristics such as memories,
physicality, and psychological attributes that differentiate one
person from another.

However, Open Individualism questions this conventional understanding
by proposing that personal identity is ultimately an illusion. It
suggests that the boundaries we perceive between individuals are not
fundamental or real, but rather a result of our limited perspective or
subjective experience.

Open Individualism argues that, at a fundamental level, all conscious
beings share a common underlying consciousness or personhood. It
suggests that personal identity is not something inherent to
individual consciousnesses but rather a product of our limited
perception and the way we identify with specific bodies, minds, and
memories.

By challenging the conventional notion of personal identity and
individuality, Open Individualism invites us to reconsider our
understanding of what it means to be a person and the nature of
consciousness itself. It raises profound philosophical questions about
the relationship between individuals, the self, and the broader
universe.