[ExI] Fwd: Open Individualism

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 22:06:44 UTC 2024

On Sun, Jan 14, 2024, 4:24 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> From: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, Jan 14, 2024 at 8:26 AM
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Open Individualism
> To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
>

> There is nothing wrong with any theory that yields testable predictions.
> But it seems that open individualism can only be tested with things, like
> uploading,

It can only be tested personally. So even if you see others upload and
claim to have survived you (from the third person witness to the uploading)
are still no wiser to the fact of whether or not it is *really you* who
survives. So it will always require some "leap of faith" to take that step.
We can, however, with logic and study of problems in, and theories of,
personal identity, gain some confidence in the answer.

that we can't do now.

There's much we can do already. Such as the Wada tested, and split brain
surgeries, as well as reviving people after months or years in a coma
(where most of your material is replaced), or brain surgery, where we
directly modify your brain while you're unconscious. We can ask, does one
survive such a discontinuity?

"Anything is possible."   OK we'll go with that.  Just prove it.  Endless
> speculation is for SportsCenter.   bill w
> "

There's already strong probabilistic arguments favoring open individualism
compared to the others. And closed individualism seems to me, at best ad
hoc, and at worst inconsistent/incoherent. It's not something you need to
speculate much over, more so just a topic that is worth learning about to
better prepare yourself for the coming future.

Jason