[ExI] Fwd: Open Individualism

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 20:36:29 UTC 2024

On Tue, Jan 16, 2024, 3:14 PM Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:

> "
> How would you counter such reasoning?
>
> Bidirectional uploading/downloading.

Certainly undergoing the procedure will provide such evidence. In my
scenario someone is hesitant to do it in the first place. Is there any
logical argument that you might devise to help convince such a person to
try it? To help them see that it will still be them?

> If you have the technical ability to upload, there is no reason you
> could not go both directions.

I agree.

> See "the clinic seed" for a discussion.  No reason for consciousness
> to be interrupted in the switchover process.
>
> I suspect that people will prefer the uploaded state, but I also
> suspect that people will save bodies.

Yes, I think there will still be many reasons for interfacing with the
external world.

Jason