[ExI] Upload/Download (was: Re: Fwd: Open Individualism)

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Thu Jan 18 11:50:40 UTC 2024

Keith Henson said:
 >> I suspect that people will prefer the uploaded state, but I also
suspect that people will save bodies.

Jason Resch said:
 > Yes, I think there will still be many reasons for interfacing with
the external world.

That remark seems to imply you think that uploads would not interface
with the external world. I don't see why they wouldn't, and I'd
certainly expect they'd be able to if they wanted.

If nothing else, uploads should be able to maintain their own hardware.
If you were an upload, would you want to entrust the care and
maintenance of your hardware to biological beings? That will probably be
the case at first, but in the long run, we don't want to depend on
beings that can be disabled or destroyed so easily. It would be ironic
if civilisation was wiped out by a disease, say, in spite of a good part
of it being resistant to the disease!

Ben