[ExI] it's not? indeed?

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sun Jan 21 20:14:00 UTC 2024

On 2024-01-20 15:02, Keith Henson via extropy-chat wrote:
> I find the lab leak theory to be exceedingly unlikely.  The wet market
> origin of the spillover is much more likely to me.

First off, it is a mistake to think that the lab leak theory and the wet
market origin are mutually exclusive probabilities. There is no doubt
that the wet market was the initial focal point of the pandemic.
However, there are tens of thousands of wet markets all over South East
Asia that deal with many of the same species of wildlife. It is highly
unlikely that out of all possible wet markets where the pandemic could
have started, it just happened to start in the wet market that was
closest to one of the dozen or so biosafety level 4 virology containment
labs in the entire world by sheer independent coincidence. Bayesian
analysis suggests that the posterior probability of that occurring by
chance alone is less than 0.00001.

Also, intelligence agencies have identified three people by name that
they suspect to be the patient zeros in the pandemic, and all three work
at the Wuhan Institute of Virology and got sick *prior^ to the epidemic
at the wet market.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2023/06/covid-origin-theories-rival-data-evidence/674495/

"Ben Hu, a high-level researcher at the Wuhan Institute of Virology, and
two colleagues, Yu Ping and Zhu Yan, could have been the first people on
the planet to be infected with SARS-CoV-2, according to anonymous
sources cited first in the newsletter Public and then in The Wall Street
Journal. These proposed patient SARS-CoV-zeros aren’t merely employees
of the virology institute; they’re central figures in the very sort of
research that lab-leak investigators have been scrutinizing since the
start of the pandemic. Their names appear on crucial papers related to
the discovery of new, SARS-related coronaviruses in bats, and subsequent
experimentation on those viruses."

The evidence and the math suggest a non-trivial role by the Wuhan
Institute of Virology in starting the pandemic in ADDITION to the wet
market.

Stuart LaForge

> But it does not matter.
>
> Keith

Why wouldn't the truth of culpability matter?

Stuart LaForge