[ExI] [Extropolis] Old and new futurisms in Silicon Valley

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 06:53:59 UTC 2024

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 10:43 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat

> On 21/01/2024 21:50, Keith Henson wrote:
>
> Can you cite an example where "woke" mobs caused someone to lose a
> job?  There are lots of reasons people lose jobs, but I am not
> familiar with this one.
>
> There are plenty of examples of teachers and lecturers who have lost their jobs because of trying to do them properly, and thus rousing the Wrath of the Woke (I'm thinking particularly of Literature classes, involving Dangerous Books (that happen to be classic literature, but what does that matter in the face of Political Correctness Gone Mad?)),

I have often expressed a low opinion of political correctness.

>  and here in the UK, a couple running a pub lost their livelihood last year because someone noticed that they had the 'Wrong Kind of Dolls' included in a display of historical dolls that had been there for years, and kicked up a frenzy that resulted in the pub being put out of business.

"How racist golliwog doll display led to a police raid, boycotts and
pub’s eventual closure"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/golliwog-dolls-grays-essex-pub-closes-b2331804.html

> The dolls in question were Golliwogs. Yes, really. Apparently Golliwogs are so dangerous that you can be hounded out of your job for allowing people to see them.

They were driven out of a business, which is worse than being driven
out of a job.  But reading that story, it's clear it was not entirely
outside forces that got them,  Times change, and objectionable symbols
change too.  They could have packed the dolls away and gone on, but
they decided to fight the irrational PC nonsense.  Fighting with
irrational people is a lost cause.  Woke mob sounds correct.  Why
people get involved in such is a good question.  Bullying is a known
psychological trait, perhaps the woke mob is a manifestation of that
nasty trail.

Here is an example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo%27s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_Little_Black_Sambo

This is a particularly stupid example of PC.  The attack was based on
Sambo being African which was not the case at all, he was South Asian.
Blacks seem to have understood this and were not bothered, after all,
tigers are not African.  But social justice idiots are always looking
for a cause . . .

Another example, a friend of mine has a house built in the early 30s
with a big swastika decoration on the chimney. He let ivy grow over
the chimney.

> No wonder Robinsons banished the iconic image from their jam jars years ago. Apparently they had an eerily accurate 'woke-meter', and neatly dodged that particular existential danger.

They did the correct thing.

Kieth