[ExI] [Extropolis] Old and new futurisms in Silicon Valley

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 07:23:26 UTC 2024

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 7:43 PM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat

> On 21/01/2024 21:50, Keith Henson wrote:
>
> Can you cite an example where "woke" mobs caused someone to lose a
> job?  There are lots of reasons people lose jobs, but I am not
> familiar with this one.
>

> There are plenty of examples of teachers and lecturers who have lost their jobs because of trying to do them properly, and thus rousing the Wrath of the Woke (I'm thinking particularly of Literature classes, involving Dangerous Books (that happen to be classic literature, but what does that matter in the face of Political Correctness Gone Mad?)), and here in the UK, a couple running a pub lost their livelihood last year because someone noticed that they had the 'Wrong Kind of Dolls' included in a display of historical dolls that had been there for years, and kicked up a frenzy that resulted in the pub being put out of business. The dolls in question were Golliwogs. Yes, really. Apparently Golliwogs are so dangerous that you can be hounded out of your job for allowing people to see them. No wonder Robinsons banished the iconic image from their jam jars years ago. Apparently they had an eerily accurate 'woke-meter', and neatly dodged that particular existential danger.
>
> I'm sure Giulio can provide many other examples of people losing their jobs through the actions of 'woke' mobs.
>
> Ben

I could, but it would be a very long list. Better google. I guess
Keith is not aware of this because he doesn't use social media much,
and these things are not reported by the mainstream press of liberal
bent. But they are reported by the mainstream press of conservative
bent. My advice is, since the politically polarized mainstream press
is lying to you, and there is no such thing as unbiased press, always
read both sides.