[ExI] Blue Zones review - for longer life

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 12:04:45 UTC 2024

People in the world’s ‘blue zones’ live longer – their diet could hold
the key to why
Published: January 24, 2024

<https://theconversation.com/people-in-the-worlds-blue-zones-live-longer-their-diet-could-hold-the-key-to-why-221463>

Quotes:
This longevity hotspot has since been expanded, and now includes
several other areas around the world which also have greater numbers
of longer-living, healthy people. Alongside Sardinia, these blue zones
are now popularly recognised as: Ikaria, Greece; Okinawa, Japan;
Nicoya, Costa Rica; and Loma Linda, California.

When it comes to diet, each blue zone has its own approach – so one
specific food or nutrient does not explain the remarkable longevity
observed. But interestingly, a diet rich in plant foods (such as
locally-grown vegetables, fruits and legumes) does appear to be
reasonably consistent across these zones.

Another striking observation from these longevity hot spots is that
meals are typically freshly prepared at home. Traditional blue zone
diets also don’t appear to contain ultra-processed foods, fast foods
or sugary drinks which may accelerate ageing. So maybe it’s just as
important to consider what these longer-living populations are not
doing, as much as what they are doing.

Perhaps then we can learn something from these remarkable
centenarians. While diet is only one part of the bigger picture when
it comes to longevity, it’s an area we can do something about. In
fact, it might just be at the heart of improving not only the quality
of our health, but the quality of how we age.