[ExI] to hold or not to hold

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 21:36:21 UTC 2024

On Mon, 25 Mar 2024 at 20:51, spike jones via extropy-chat

> I am reading Michael Lewis’ Going Infinite, in which he mentions that in the kind of trading that makes real money, milliseconds count.  The Japanese propose spending a buttload of money to put a fiber optic cable between Tokyo and London to reduce latency between those points by a few milliseconds.
>
> The Attorney General of New York has demonstrated that New York law empowers her to seize property if she wants it.  She wants it.  So… the world’s financial markets noticed and are looking for a safe alternative.
>
> Does anyone here know if moving to Florida is a viable option for Wall Street stock and securities trading?  If there is a few milliseconds longer latency between London, Tokyo and West Palm Beach, the Florida move might not even be an option.  I need to know this for it influences my decision on whether or not to hold Florida real estate.
>
> spike

I think that the speed of connection mostly applies to high-frequency
traders, who want their computers to be as close to the stockmarket
computers as possible. Preferably in the same building. For HFT, micro
seconds matter, milliseconds is too slow.

BillK