[ExI] libertarians nominate none of these

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Mar 26 02:57:27 UTC 2024

…> On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
Cc: Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] libertarians nominate none of these

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 12:10 PM <spike at rainier66.com <mailto:spike at rainier66.com> > wrote:

For Libertarians and Greens, a win is defined as spanning the gap.

>…A win is a win, same as for any other party or independent.  And there are a (very) few non-D-or-R types in Congress…

If ever there was a year to try for a win, it is this one.  Both mainstream candidates are well known, both are wildly unpopular, both are too old, both have serious legal troubles, neither were effective unifiers, nobody likes these two, certainly nobody I have talked to.  So if we could find a credible candidate, the Libertarian guy could win, maybe.  Oh that would be a new day.

>…I note that there are cases where they do - in practice, not just because the other party is that unpopular - exclude the other party from the ballot.  They're rare, but I worry about them growing… Adrian

The recent Supreme Court decision outlaws states and counties from excluding candidates for a national-level office.  The decision was a rare unanimous agreement of all nine justices.  It is easy to see chaos if the decision had gone any other way.