[ExI] DRAFT of my new book

serafino cerulli-irelli scerir at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 15:58:44 UTC 2024

Hi Giulio.

Chapter 5 - “Mathematics falls into Gödel’s trap when it talks about
itself. We are parts of physical reality that talk about it from inside
physical reality itself. John von Neumann considered the possibility that
“the information available to the observer regarding his own state could
have absolute limitations, by the laws of nature” [von Neumann 2018]. It
seems plausible that any theory of physical reality that we can formulate
from the inside must be incomplete, with some irreducible indeterminacy.”

Long time ago, David Finkelstein was interested in "introspective" systems.

 *"There is, to be sure, a genuine problem in the phenomenon of quantum
measurement, but I will not discuss it here. It concerns introspective
systems, where subject = object so that the basic conception of a single
subject observing an ensemble of objects must be modified."* -- David
Finkelstein, "The Physics of Logic", in "Paradigms and Paradoxes", ed. R.
G. Colodny, 1971, Un. Pittsburgh, p. 60 .

 I wrote a short email and he responded. *"Weizsäcker proposed in
conversation that in fact the observer divides into two parts on such
occasions, and then one observes the other as usual. When the observer is
outside the system, the measurement is represented by a time-dependent
interaction Hamiltonian. This would not make sense for self-observation,
but one can imagine a self-interaction governed by an internal parameter
instead of time."*

Privo
di virus.www.avast.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 at 05:41, Giulio Prisco via extropy-chat <