[ExI] libertarians nominate none of these

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 15:28:12 UTC 2024

For many years I shared the view that nobody should be able to tell me what
I can put into my body, such as prescription drugs.  I changed my mind.

Consider just how news about drugs (prescription, OTC, illegal) travels the
web.  Superstitions abound amid some probably good advice.  Add in that a
significant portion of the population are mentally challenged, are
psychotic, are just plain stupid, and you have a recipe for hundreds of
thousands of people harming themselves and others (including their
children) by taking prescription drugs they really have no idea how to use
properly ("If I take two won't that work faster and better?").  Opiates
will addict millions and many will die of overdoses.  You think it's bad
now?

What this view of legalizing comes down to is Social Darwinism - "If you
are stupid enough to take the drug you deserve the effects, including
death."  You might swallow that line for adults (I don't), but what about
the children who are dosed by parents (or peers- I assume no age limit for
purchasing drugs)?

This is just unacceptable to me.  Sometimes we need a nanny state.  I have
to accept that and the limitations it puts on me regardless of the fact
that I am not stupid, psychotic, superstitious, and so on.  Making all
drugs available to all people will create a nightmare.

For the same reason I accept that we have to have traffic laws to help keep
morons from killing themselves and other people.  No doubt you could think
of more laws that protect people from themselves.

Yes, I am a libertarian, but some things are just not possible, given the
mental limitations of many human beings.

The Interstate Highway System was started because Eisenhower wanted it so
the defense department could mobilize and get places faster in case of
war/invasion.

bill w

On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 3:57 AM Kelly Anderson via extropy-chat <