[ExI] Space Mining

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 20:39:31 UTC 2024

I also note the subject line of this email.  In addition to asteroid
mining, there is the potential for lunar mining.

I suspect that lunar mining mostly makes sense to support lunar
manufacturing.  (While there is the prospect of mining helium-3, that is of
no great value until after, not before, helium-3 fusion is demonstrated and
becomes ready, with the possible sole exception of the fuel source, for
commercial deployment.)  This begs the question of what to manufacture on
the Moon that could be of significant value; the best answer I have found
so far is solar panels for power satellites, and/or entire solar power
satellites, to be built and launched into Earth orbit at much lower cost
than building and launching from Earth's surface into orbit.