[ExI] Fortified homes and bomb shelters

Kelly Anderson postmowoods at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 23:36:57 UTC 2024

On Sun, Mar 10, 2024 at 7:36 AM spike jones via extropy-chat
> Humanity will survive a singularity in my thinking.
> It will reset everything, but humanity will be again
> ready to radiate out of sub Saharan Africa and do it all again.
>
> spike

While this initially seems logical, the second unfolding (if indeed it
has not occurred before, something very difficult to completely
discount) would be radically different in many aspects. While some
things can be fairly easily repeated like the stone age, wood working
and writing, perhaps leading to paper making... some technologies
cannot be easily repeated. An important example of this is the fact
that all easily accessible fossil fuels and easily mined copper and
gold have been expended, so a second rise of technology would have to
somehow create sustainable energy de-novo without the crutch of fossil
fuels. It is hard to see how to do this without a surviving library
from our period at the very least. Perhaps they could somehow skip to
a new metal age using the scraps of our civilization, but it would be
very difficult to solve the fuel issues for such a second technical or
scientific radiation.

-Kelly