[Paleopsych] Great Sites

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Sun Aug 7 02:07:36 UTC 2005

These are my favorite sites. I'm narrowing my interests to major
cultural and genetic changes and differences. So please visit them or subscribe
to the lists. I'll continue to cover certain publications that require a
password.

The New York Times
http://nytimes.com
This is 99% Establishment, but the depth and breadth of its coverage of the
news is incomparable, and I've looked at the major foreign newspapers in all
languages to get a feel, at least, for their scope.

Arts & Letters Daily
http://aldaily.com
This covers all aspects of culture. I have mined it every Monday.

Arts Journal
http://artsjournal.com
This covers only the arts and is strong on music. I get an e-message Monday
through Friday.

World Transhumanism Organization
http://transhumanism.org
This is the best group promoting the ethical use of technology to upgrade
mankind. There are several discussion lists.

The Last Ditch
http://thornwalker.com/ditch
This is the best of the paleo-libertarian sites. The editor makes pithy
comments on the news, publishes articles, and carefully selects the best URLs.
Too much criticism of U.S. foreign policy for my tastes, in which I have lost
interest. There is no hope for a restoration of the Old Republic, which is why
it's called The Last Ditch. I do continue to watch for news affecting
federal-state-local relations.

The following Yahoo! groups:

Transhuman Technology
http://yahoogroups.com/group/transhumantech
subscribe at yahoogroups.com/transhumantech
Too many articles are overly technical for my tastes, but it's a great source
of news about developments and implications of technology.

Evolutionary Psychology
http://yahoogroups.com/group/evolutionary-psychology
subscribe at yahoogroups.com/evolutionary-psychology
I scarcely follow this anymore, since my interests are more in the realm of
human differences than in evolutionary commonalities.

Rael Science
http://yahoogroups.com/group/rael-science-select
subscribe at yahoogroups.com/rael-science-select
Yes, Rael is the French journalist who purports to have received a message in
1973 from outer space explaining the extraterrestrial origin of life on earth.
I have not investigated the evidence offered for the authenticity of the
dictated message, any more than I have looked at the evidence of the Golden
Places Joseph Smith received. Still, the e-mail list is awfully good on science
and its cultural implications. Many of the messages, though, criticize U.S.
foreign policy.

World Education Club
http://yahoogroups.com/group/worldeducationclub
subscribe at yahoogroups.com/worldeducationclub
This is where you can find most of my e-mails archived. Or you can join my list
by sending me an e-message. If your mailbox gets full and messages come back,
I'll drop you after a day or over the weekend. You'll have to tell me you've
cleaned it out. If you go on vacation and ask that my messages be suspended, I
may forget to restore you. In any case, you can always catch up at the World
Education Club.

Magazines that need passwords: e-mail me for specific articles if the are not
available to the general public.

The Chronicle of Higher Education
http://chronicle.com
You've seen many articles from this site, so there's no need to describe it.

The Times Literary Supplement
http://the-tls.co.uk
This is certainly the top book review publication in the world. Part of my
problem is that I have months and months of unread copies.

New Scientist
http://www.newscientist.com (The www is mandatory.)
The best lay science publication. Again, too many unread copies.

The Economist
http://economist.com
Twenty or so years ago, I used to read this avidly.

Foreign Policy
http://foreignpolicy.com
To the extent I do read about foreign policy, this publication has more lively
debates than any other one. These debates are well within Establishment limits.
No call for the restoration of the Old Republic here.