[Exi-bay-announce] Re: [wta-talk] Long Now Seminars on Long Term Thinking : JILL TARTER and SETI this Friday

Milan Cirkovic arioch at EUnet.yu
Thu Jul 8 10:45:20 UTC 2004

Interesting news, though I would strongly object to honoring Mrs. Tarter as
"co-
founder of SETI". She certainly is co-founder of the SETI Institute as an
institution, but it is a world of difference between saying that and saying
that she co-founded the entire field. The only man alive who can claim with
some justiication to be co-founder of SETI as a field is Prof. Frenk Drake (the

others being Iosif Shklovskii and Carl Sagan). People seems to often miss the
point that SETI is an idea and a scientific field of study, not a particular
project or institution. As such, it has no boundaries, national, institutional
or otherwise. Some of the best SETI studies today are performed far from the
SETI Institute (say in Argentine or Japan or Russia).

Cheers,
Milan