[Exi-bay-chat] Re: on Geoethical Nanotechnology

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Sun Jul 10 21:32:46 UTC 2005

At 04:02 PM 7/10/2005, Anton Sherwood wrote:
>Natasha Vita-More wrote:
> > Just to close and respect Simon's wishes
>
>(Note by the way that Simon's complaint does not apply
>to the only list to which I'm posting, exi-bay-chat.)

Okay, great.  I sent you a message off list, saying that your reply to me
was very well stated.

> > let me say that you [Perry] are wrong, wrong and wrong.
>
>That summary has the virtue of conciseness if not clarity.

Well yes, when stated calmly.  I think I got the phrase from Samantha in
"Sex In the City" where she says:  "No, no and no."  about something that
she does not agree with.  It's just factual, not emotional.

>Do you mean mistaken in inferring your/Max's position,

Mistaken in inferring my position (Max can speak for himself).  I am proud
of some early extropians and their passionate views, and those views
were/are the views of individuals not ExI or the magazine.

"or in construing the meaning of the ominous phrase "global regulatory
framework";"

Global regulatory framework was written by someone and I do not know what
she really truly means by it.  I tend to think that the Proactionary
Principle is a pretty darn good means for addressing global issues.

"mistaken in believing (e.g.) that the laws of economics are knowable,
broadly known, and not subject to repeal; morally wrong in opposing the
well-meaning schemes of our betters; or some other kind(s) of wrong?"

Economics is not my subject, although I rather like the views of Shapiorand
Varian.  I'm thinking toward a networked economy.

> > Anyway, let's discuss off list and see if we can resolve some
> > misconceptions and soften your blows, which frankly are more
> > like a lynching than from a rational aim. . . .
>
>Aww, did the poor wittle Progressive ox get gored in spite of all its good
>intentions?

Oxen don't have enough testosterone to be progressive.

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More

Cultural Strategist, Designer
Studies of the Future, University of Houston

Knowledge is the most democratic source of power.  Alvin Toffler
Random acts of kindness... Anne Herbet