[extropy-chat] Transhumanism and non-gender roles

JDP jacques at dtext.com
Tue Dec 2 11:51:58 UTC 2003

Eugen Leitl wrote:

> I'm very certain that there is empiric evidence
> that transhumanism acceptance rate in males is at
> least an order (maybe two) of magnitude higher than
> women.
>
> However, I have no actual statistics in hand, so I can't
> prove my case.

I'll say the obvious: speculation (for best and worse) is distinctively
male. You don't easily get the attention of a woman with speculation
(except her attention on yourself, as a typical... male). They are
usually more practical, caring about what is in the present and makes a
difference there.

It's one of the obvious gender opposition in the culture, and it is
probable that it reflects some biological difference (the origin of
which seems rather easy to imagine). Of course, like all
"genderalizations", I don't intend it normatively and anyone is welcome
to be a counter-example. I am a counter-example of many gender things
that I think usually hold.

Jacques