[extropy-chat] Boredom in old age

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Dec 3 14:42:19 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 03:06:58PM +0100, Max M wrote:

> Oh yeah, that is so true. I can allready feel it myself at the tender
> age of 38. I have allways been an "extreme" techie. But computers are
> getting more and more boring every day. Solving the same old problems in
> slightly different ways.

Me three, at 37. Getting ready to move on to make my hands
dirty in a different field. Not exactly easy, given my current
location and economic climate (drug discovery and bio
startups have been ailing for some time, and ROI is as
far removed as ever, so I expect them to start crashing
en masse quite soon -- so far they've been just not hiring
for a couple of years, or so).

I'm quite interested to discuss personal plans (job, financial,
relocation) with other european transhumanists, as most of EU
is basically in the same situation.

> On the other side, I find quality in my life increasingly important, and
> there are many examples of people living good lives at a high age.

Absolutely.

> People at the age of 50 usually tell that they are living out the best
> part of their life. Free of the stresses of homebuilding and kids.

Heard that, too. Latter stresses seem to be yet in front of me, though :)

> We can also hope that a exponential growth in technology can make up for
> the "seen it all before" feeling.

So far it's not managing very well.

> Or perhaps side-effect-free recreational drugs will make it all moot.

Have you ever seen a side-effect-free drug? It's too coarse a tool by
far. I'm afraid we'll have really to wait for personal molecular medicine,
which might take too long (and be too expensive) for our age group.

Is the first immortal generation born already? Maybe, but it's pretty
impossible to tell yet.