[ok] Re: [extropy-chat] Communication vs transportation

Henrique Moraes Machado hemm at openlink.com.br
Wed Dec 3 15:07:51 UTC 2003

Well, I'm not thinking only about intercontinental flights, but also our day-by-day transport, such as automobiles. You can put a hybrid engine in your car, you can use stem cells, you can put any kind of electronics in it, but it's still a car and will be stuck in the same traffic jam with all the other less advanced cars. You can make planes faster, but you'll still need to go to the airport and check-in and pass through the same metal detectors and deal with the same overbooking and wait lists.
What I mean is that todays means of transportation follow the same old paradigm of fifty years ago. They improved, of course, but they are still intrinsically the same. The most advanced jet and the first airplane use exactly the same principles to fly.

HeMM