[extropy-chat] Who Anticipated Internet Exploding in 90s?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 18:45:38 UTC 2003

Heinlein in his novel "Friday" envisioned a worldwide hyperlinked
information network as a research tool for private intelligence
agencies. Vinge's story "True Names" envisioned an online metaverse
that even those on welfare could access with inexpensive equipment
while others with more expensive bandwidth and processor capabilities
exerted great power to engage in MIP-sucking as well as DoS and other
attacks.

--- "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience at pobox.com> wrote:
> Eric Drexler in "Engines of Creation" went on at some length about
> the
> importance of hypertext; this anticipates the Web, I suppose, and
> actually
> helped build the Web, historically speaking; but not the Net.
>
> --
> Eliezer S. Yudkowsky                          http://singinst.org/
> Research Fellow, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey