[extropy-chat] libertarian fervor

Don Dartfield twodeel at jornada.org
Thu Dec 4 07:31:14 UTC 2003

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003, David Lubkin wrote:

> Would others speak to where their libertarian fervor came from?

>From the discovery that the drug laws, designed to prevent people from
doing what they want in the first place, have frightened doctors into not
prescribing proper pain medication for treatment of chronic pain even when
it is very obviously warranted, for fear of becoming another casualty in
the War on Drugs.

That was what got me started, at least, and motivated me to register as a
Libertarian.  Lately, though, I've drifted away somewhat, because I've
realized that I'm not a complete libertarian like many of the other
libertarians whose articles I read seem to be.  For instance, I have yet
to be convinced that private ownership of roads would be better than our
current system.

Somewhat similar to Larry Niven's whole "Why I Am Not a Libertarian" thing
that he wrote a story about ... what was it ... oh yeah, "Cloak of
Anarchy."  But in any case, I still consider myself to be more libertarian
than anything else.