[extropy-chat] theobiology

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 6 03:00:25 UTC 2003

How about asking the host or the writer what these terms mean?

A google search turns up:
http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/a/021969.htm

Which says that triclavianism is the belief that christ was nailed to
the cross with just three nails, which for some reason is considered to
be some sort of heresy....

Urban legends also claims the site is a spoof with an extremely deadpan
sense of humor. What is also interesting is that the "Landover Baptist"
site that the Objective: Ministries site attacks is run by the same
spoofers. The Landover site is just a bit more of an obvious spoof.

Upon further research, apparently "First-century archeological evidence
points to three nails being the norm for crucifixion at the time (New
Bible Dictionary, Tyndale, 1982, page 253-254) although early church
art used four nails, switching to three nails around the 13th century."
http://markbyron.typepad.com/main/2003/06/a_quick_survey_.html

So it seems to be a very Swiftian sort of satire (note the Lilliputians
and their war over which side of the egg to crack open) to make an
issue out of how many nails a guy was nailed to a tree with.

Now, for those who are really atheist, you can further evangelize
atheism by promoting the triclavian debate. The more absurd you make
the christian theological world, the more people will give up on
religion and become atheists.

--- MB <mbb386 at main.nc.us> wrote:

> Google doesn't know triclavianism either, except WRT these
> pages we're discussing. Or others who are discussing them
> too.
>
> Neither does my Webster's dictionary know triclavianism. Nor
> my Oxford, which is old.
>
> I'll ask the priest I used to work for, maybe she would
> know. :/ I kinda doubt it, though.
>
> Regards,
> MB
>
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Damien Broderick wrote:
>

> > `Fellowship University'? Google finds it not, not surprisingly.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey