[ok] Re: [extropy-chat] Communication vs transportation

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 9 16:17:30 UTC 2003

Well, atmospheric transportation has hit a wall of diminishing returns
on velocity, so the new plenum of progress is number of passengers and
cost efficiency. The Airbus entry is certainly a step in that
direction. Boeing has had designs for similar aircraft out for years
with little market interest up to now. Maybe that will change and
Boeing will do something now that Condit is canned.

Skyhooks are not a really time efficient means of getting from point A
to point B on earth. You may go faster in terms of peak velocity, but
the route is many times longer, going up to geosynch, around (at 23k
altitude, half circumference is 160,000 miles) and back down, for a
total route length of over 200,000 miles. You are going to have a trip
time of over 20 hours, more like 30-40 hours at best, going that way.

Why not jump in a 747-XFXL (extrafat, extralong) and travel in comfort
at mach .97 and do it in 15 hours?

--- Henrique Moraes Machado <hemm at br.inter.net> wrote:
> Nice. But it's only more of the same.
> What I would really like to see is something more revolutionary than
> evolutionary. For instance, if we build many space elevators around
> the globe, people could travel between them using ships that would
> never need to land. It's some crazy idea, but it's an idea. Ok, it's
> not possible today, but could be considered.
> On the other hand there are other means of transportation that could
> be used today and are so neglected. Such as dirigibles and
> ekranoplanes (http://www.ae.metu.edu.tr/~gulkiz/wig.html)

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark