[extropy-chat] Doubt and About

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal at smigrodzki.org
Thu Dec 11 00:19:23 UTC 2003

Harvey wrote:
> Subject: RE: [extropy-chat] Doubt and About
>

> Mike Lorrey wrote,
>> Unfortunately, it does not seem that the truth is with you
>> today. We now have a smoking gun that proves the
>> non-anthropic origins of global
>> warming:
>> http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/mars_ice-age_031208.html
>
> I agree with you 100%.  I am beginning to suspect that solar changes
> are causing solar-system-wide warming.  You seem intent on proving
> that humans aren't to blame, while I am intent on proving that global
> warming is occurring.  Both of us can be right without contradiction.
>
> I will gladly agree that global warming will occur whether humans are
> to blame or not.  Do you now agree that global warming is actually
> occurring and that we have to deal with the consequences of it?  Can
> we now accept this fact and start figuring out what to do as the ice
> slowly melts, oceans slowly rise, agricultural zones slowly shift,
> and coastlines slowly cover our coastal cities?

### But here we are, as far as I know, again leaving the area of scientific
consensus. There is no agreement as to the likely scope of changes due to
warming, and analyses of what would need to be done to prevent such putative
outcomes are hypotheticals built on hypotheses. Indeed, in view of the
positive agricultural effects of increased carbon dioxide, described in
recent articles in Science and other journals, the best course of action
might be not doing anything about warming in general, but rather dealing
with the possibly quite limited, local deleterious side effects, if any.

Rafal