[extropy-chat] Doubt and About

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 12 04:30:42 UTC 2003

--- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Yeah, from the article:
> > ...Neither one of those temperature
> > increases is going to cause much of a catastrophe." "
> >
> > The error in this prediction is that it assumes that temperature
> > increases linearly with carbon dioxide levels. This is false...
> > Given that even the so called experts are ignoring the diminishing
> > returns curve of CO2, it is become more than a hoax, it is to be
> > concluded that there is massive negligence if not intentional fraud
> > going on...Mike
>
> That's what it looks like to me too, but I have an idea.  As
> Harvey pointed out, we should be looking at ways of dealing
> with rising sea levels (if they rise).  I suggest doing projects
> that will help a bunch of people even if the promised global
> warming doesn't happen.

Well, this is always good. It would take, however, a significant
dedication of resources to PR just to get this going. We need to change
the terms of political discourse to make this happen.

For example, rather than embrace the 'sustainability' religion of the
luddites and the social malthusians, we need to say, "Okay, if warming
is happening, we need to do things about it that build GDP, not
restrict it." Really plug the fact that since Mars also has global
warming, that it can't be blamed on humans or human activities, so,
since it is nature that is at fault, we need to decide if we want to
alter nature and how, or if it is even needed.

The deforestation of north africa is probably the biggest environmental
problem in the world, but is it really a contributor to global warming?
In one sense, it keeps all of north africa clear of clouds, allowing
lots of thermal energy to radiate to space. Clouds, you see, are the
real greenhouse gas, not CO2. The CO2 just helps produce more clouds.
While they do reflect a lot of energy to space, they also trap the
energy that gets through them better than no-clouds. This is why Venus,
despite having a much higher albedo than Earth thanks to its total
cloud cover, manages to remain 800 F in the shade.

A thermal hole similar to North Africa appears with regularity over the
Central Pacific, a hole that the more extreme climate predictions do
not take into account.

Nor do they take into account the thermal isolation of Antarctica. The
circumpolar wind and water currents create a wall against thermal
leakage into Antarctica, and the Katabatic winds, which drive outward
from the center of the continent, are supplied by the stratosphere,
where the air cools itself to space before dropping to the pole and
driving outward to maintain the frozen continents isolation.

This isolation has become ever stronger since it first appeared with
any strength 14 million or so years ago as the seas opened up between
the Tierra Del Fuego and the Antarctic penninsula.

The big problem has been warming in the arctic from increasing cloud
cover. There are natural systems at work that respond to this. THe
thermal conveyor in the north Atlantic has slowed and in some cases
shut down as the thermal differential eased. As this happens, and ocean
currents slow, the pole will cool again and renew the cycle.

Things we can do to help cool the pole would be things that decrease
cloud cover through precipitation. Some say that the decreases in soot
and other particulates in the air as coal and wood heat use is reduced
and other fossil fuel sources develop clean-burn technologies is what
is causing this.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark