[extropy-chat] Stealing organs finally a crime...

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 11 02:48:33 UTC 2003

Major wrote:

> > Of course.  I have a friend whose job it was to meet with
> > African immigrant families to explain to them that it is
> > illegal in this country to do female circumcision, not to
> > mention cruel and ill-advised.  I have often inquired why
> > she has no counterpart arguing the same for the male children.
>
> Probably because while male circumcision may be cruel and ill-advised
> it is nowhere near as cruel or ill-advised as the so-called female
> circumcision (which is usually clitorectomy in practice).
>
> Major
>
> PS: I am old enough to have been circumcised at birth on medical
> advice (apparently it didn't use to be ill-advised 8-).

Agreed female circumcision is a control mechanism in several cultures.

Terry

P.S.: As an American over 50 I too have been circumcised for the usual
reasons.  My "family" doctor visited our home to do the circumcision.
My mother says he was a bit drunk, so I have a partial circumcision.

My wife is Thai-Chinese and asked me to question my mother whether or not
I was circumcised.  She didn't quite understand the foreskin removal process.
[;>))]

--
“Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress.” Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program