[extropy-chat] Re: Encryption revolution

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Fri Dec 12 14:55:12 UTC 2003

Harvey Newstrom <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> This is a big problem with Extropians and Transhumanists in general.  All we
> seem to have is a discussion group with armchair quarterbacks and amateurs
> arguing over star-trek science.  Where are all the real experts in our
> favorite fields?  I feel like I am beating a dead horse, but it has to be
> said.

It's a straightforward case of self-selection.  As Eugen has pointed
out, extended participation in online fora is usually incompatible
with getting things done.  Those people actually working on >H goals
are, well, busy working.  Those that remain here (and likely most
that were attracted in the first place) are those that don't offer
anything but talk.

I'm still as much a transhumanist as I was when I first heard about
it, but over the last few years I have become severely disillusioned
about the extropian and transhumanist _movement_.  It's a fanboy
club that exerts no influence whatsoever on actual technological
or social development and that will probably be overrun in the
medium term by the progress happening in the real world.

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de