[extropy-chat] Being productive [was: Encryption revolution]

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Fri Dec 12 16:43:27 UTC 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> It's a fanboy
> club that exerts no influence whatsoever on actual technological
> or social development and that will probably be overrun in the
> medium term by the progress happening in the real world.

I think that is a little harsh.  Have you read the Spike?
Do you know Ray Kurzweil is writing a book about the onset
of the Singularity (which is drawing on some Extropic discussions).
Mez is writing a book as well.  Brett is very active in the
whole cloning area.  People such as Natasha, Anders and myself are
writing papers and speaking at (or attempting to speak at)
various conferences.  Have you taken a look at the discussion
at NanoAtHome.org?  [Its moving slowly but it *is* moving.]
I was at the WTA conference this year and found the discussions
quite stimulating -- my impression was that many of the people
there found it quite educational.  People like Mike Lorry are
experimenting with alternative political architectures.  Robin
tried to produce a grand experiment involving idea futures only
to suffer setbacks.  etc.

Most of the "real world" -- perhaps close to 6 billion people
are focused on day-to-day survival.  There are only a few
thousand transhumanists/extropians who understand to some
extent where things may be going and take the opportunity
to discuss how to steer it productively.  One might look at
it like a sled racing down a snowy slope just barely
under ones control.

Robert