[extropy-chat] BIO: Chimps and Humans

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 12 19:00:56 UTC 2003

--- Harvey Newstrom <mail at HarveyNewstrom.com> wrote:
> Advancing science does not always
> advance our goals.
>
> In this case, the predicted dates for understanding
> the differences between
> chimps and humans will have to be pushed back due to
> all the added
> complexity we have just discovered.

Be careful how you phrase that.  Some people
(hopefully
few who grok Extropian ideals, but perhaps some who
wish to do so but don't quite understand yet) might
misunderstand, and think that you're saying this type
of research actively goes against our goals, in the
same sense that, say, stem cell research undermines
certain religious memes.  Perhaps a better way to put
it would be, "Advancing science sometimes shows us
that
we are not as close to our goals as we thought we
were."

It's usually a good idea to always be careful to say
what you mean, and to mean what you say.