[extropy-chat] Re: Encryption revolution

Reason reason at exratio.com
Sat Dec 13 04:19:56 UTC 2003

You're missing the point. When building a prize, most of the final amount
will come from wealthy philanthopists. The purpose of the large amount of
smaller donations is to demonstrate viability, will, and widespread
interest. It engages people; all social engineering. It's part of the
bootstrap effect: people like the chair of HGSI aren't going to donate to a
prize until hundreds of people have made their voice heard and made smaller
donations. Paul Allen isn't going to donate until many people at the renown
level of the chair of HGSI have donated, and so forth.

This is the way it works when you're trying to convince philanthopists that
something is worthwhile. It's exactly the same way it worked for the X
Prize, you'll note, which started out at $10,000 seven years ago. The
Methuselah Mouse Prize is only six months old, and has grown faster than the
X Prize in its first six months.

Again, this is the process, this is the way it works. It's working, and it's
working very well. Don't dismiss it: instead, make a donation and help it to
succeed.

Reason
http://www.exratio.com/