[extropy-chat] Religious worldviews

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 gpmap at runbox.com
Mon Dec 15 07:11:27 UTC 2003

I believe things happen because of the laws of science. This statement is
true by definition, since the word science means trying to understand why
things happen. There are at least two "religious" scenarios that can be
formulated entirely within the conceptual framework of modern science: An
"Omega Point" scenario, and a "Simulation" scenario. In both cases, concepts
very similar to those found in conventional religions, such as higher powers
"in charge" of the world, survival of a "soul" after biological death, and
"heaven", can be formulated and considered without having to admit
supernatural elements into one's worldview.
I enjoy thinking about these and similar scenarios in idle moments but, on
the basis of our current scientific understanding of the universe, do not
consider them as anything more than interesting theoretical speculations,
mixed with some wishful thinking. In particular, I do not consider them as
acceptable basis for any decision that I have to make.