[extropy-chat] converging history

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Dec 22 11:20:03 UTC 2003

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 10:59:53PM -0800, Spike wrote:

> Please Harvey do not hack into my computer.  I have no
> doubt that you could do it.  {8^D  Perhaps someone
> else here knows of a way to get to the site, or an
> equivalent roadmap of microprocessors coming in the next
> five years.  I was astounded that there is no apparent
> slowing to the logarithmic progress in processors that
> we have enjoyed for the past 25 years.

Unfortunately, the only kind of progress there fitting
a linear semi-log plots there is is integration density.

We're increasingly abandoning the pather of all-purpose computing, designing
systems which (kinda, sorta) perform on a specific task set. The gap between
best case and worst case is opening wider and wider with every year.

This can't go on indefinitely, and eventually we will reclaim all those
hidden resources Moore has been racking up, but it is not obvious when
exactly this will happen.

Meanwhile, I remain rather underwhelmed. (Perhaps, I'm just a naturally more
morose type than Spike).