[extropy-chat] European Free State Project

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 22 15:24:45 UTC 2003

--- Charlie Stross <charlie at antipope.org> wrote:

> On 22 Dec 2003, at 03:29, Mike Lorrey wrote:
>
> > http://europeanfreestate.org/
> >
> > The FSP has apparently spawned a bunch of efforts using similar
> names.
> > There is the Swing State Project, the Free Arms Project, I have
> heard
> > rumors of a 'Green State Project', and now European Libertarians
> have
> > launched a European Free State Project to establish a similarly
> > libertarian free state within the European Union.
> >
> > The only thing that will shock me would be if one got started in
> > China... ;)
>
> China isn't what it used to be, politically _or_ culturally:
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1110721,00.html
> (That high-pitched whining noise is the sound of Chairman Mao
> spinning -- they hooked him up to the national grid and he's keeping
> the light bulbs burning throughout Hong Kong.)
>
> On a more serious note, what would you describe Hong Kong as?

Considering the heavy handed things that have been going on in HK
recently in terms of individual rights, it sure ain't what it used to
be, and even that was lacking in areas. For me, at least. I think that
people outside the US have a hard time grasping what some of us
consider real freedom.

Saw today that China's Communist Party is looking at approving an
amendment to the constitution that protects private property as being
co-equal to public property. So they've come half way. Wake me up when
they finally admit that public property has no legitimacy whatsoever...

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey