[extropy-chat] BIO: Stem Cell Genes

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Wed Dec 24 00:01:59 UTC 2003

Robert J. Bradbury wrote:
> But ultimately when you solve all of those
> problems I think DNA misrepair is going to get you
unless we
> have the technology to replace or rewrite the
defective genomes.

Just seeing if I understand correctly...so, would a
step towards this be viruses that identified certain
types of common (and detrimental) miswrites, and
corrected them with the corresponding correct strings
taken from the patient's DNA?  Or, more elaborately,
nanoites programmed with what a patient's DNA "should"
look like (telomeres and all), then go cell by cell
examining and rewriting the DNA?  (Which could be used
for anti-aging treatment as well as certain upgrades -
albeit mostly for functions that the DNA is still
involved in, as opposed to merely having set the
course for, in an adult body.)