[extropy-chat] ENOUGH already

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Thu Dec 25 10:19:50 UTC 2003

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:04:50 -0600
"Damien Broderick" <thespike at earthlink.net> wrote:

> < A veteran New York Times war correspondent's complex, moving, and
> thought-provoking reflection on how life is lived most intensely in times of
> war.
> General George S. Patton famously said, "Compared to war all other forms of
> human endeavor shrink to insignificance. God, I do love it so!" Though
> Patton was a notoriously single-minded general, it is nonetheless a sad fact
> that war gives meaning to many lives, a fact with which we have become
> familiar now that America is once again engaged in a military conflict. War
> is an enticing elixir. It gives us purpose, resolve, a cause. It allows us
> to be noble. >

If this current idiocy is the best that can be had to give us purpose, resolve, and a cause - if it is the closest we get to "noble" - then please pass the koolaid.

I do not see how anyone can suppose this never-ending, perpetually over-spending, freedom destroying, cynical, bullying crap-shoot disguised as "war" brings any meaning at all to life.  It makes life infinitely ugly and sad if taken seriously.  As ugly as war is this current fiasco sullies even the name of "war".

- s