[extropy-chat] Alert for Suspicious Farmers' Almanacs

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Tue Dec 30 17:35:39 UTC 2003

From: "Mike Lorrey" <mlorrey at yahoo.com>

> I don't think something as minor as a Farmer's Almanac is what they are
> talking about. It seemed to me that they were talking about those 1000
> page plus reference alamanacs you can buy that have data about tons of
> things covering the whole country to a far greter degree than the
> average road atlas.

> While I can understand the leftist need to ridicule this measure by
> decribing it as 'farmers almanac' ...

You understand the leftist need ...? to ridicule ...?  Hmmmm, do you suppose
the right ever ridicules the left? (if not, then please point out how it
does not).  While you may correct that the almanac to which the article
refers may not be the ubiquitous Farmers, it doesn't make that entirely
clear (and the article does invoke a quote from the publisher of the
aforesaid ...).

BTW, at first I thought this was a joke, but now I'm not so certain (do you
think this is serious?):
http://www.thbookservice.com/BookPage.asp?prod_cd=c6230

>The left often displays a rather high degree of hubristic
> arrogance that it is so smart that anybody they don't like must be
> stupid.

... somewhat like the rather high degree of hubristic arrogance displayed by
the right?

> That is, however, the nature of leftism, the concept that
> people are too dumb for their own good and need to be told how to spend
> their money.

... and what is the *nature* of rightism?  (perhaps, thinking that the
leftists have a "need to ridicule" ...?)

>Suggest you consider that intelligence people may have
> much better information sources than you do.

I have a great deal of respect for intelligence people (as long as they're
rational and intelligent).  I worry about the likes of Ashcroft, and stuff
like:  "Condi Rice is as comfortable speaking publicly about her faith in
God as she is about strategic arms reduction and routing out terrorism."
found in: http://www.christianitytoday.com/cr/2002/005/1.18.html

If the fate of the world rests with people who have conversations with
god(s), all is lost ...

Olga