[extropy-chat] Best place to live in USA

BillK bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Dec 31 11:31:02 UTC 2003

Money Magazine's Hottest Towns

Whether you like big cities or small towns, these are the most desirable
places to live in America.
First, we divided OnBoard's 271-city list into three regions: east,
central and west. Those lists were sorted by population.

Then, based on careful examination of MOSAIC lifestyle segmentation
data, we narrowed the list further by identifying those towns with
demographics that closely mirrored that of the typical MONEY reader:
college educated, working professional, well-above average median income.

In addition, the town had to be located no more than 60 miles from a
major city. That ensures reasonable access art and culture resources.
Only cities with median incomes above $50,000 a year and unemployment
rates below the national average were included in our search.

<http://money.cnn.com/best/bplive/>

Table of Top 81 places
<http://money.cnn.com/best/bplive/cities_table/>

--------

Now the question is: Why no places in New Hampshire in the top 81?
Too much snow? ;)

If you go here, you can set your own priorities,
such as, weather, house prices, culture, etc.
and do a search to find your ideal town.

<http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/bestplaces/bplive.jsp>

After a few attempts, I had to restrict my search to the North-East and
put winter low temp and cold index down to the minimum before New
Hampshire appeared in the search results.
So it looks as though you have to be hardy to live in NH.
Not suitable for Florida retiree types!  :)

Concord came highest, followed by Manchester in my search.

BillK