[extropy-chat] Best place to live in USA

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 18:53:00 UTC 2003

--- BillK <bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Money Magazine's Hottest Towns
>
> In addition, the town had to be located no more than 60 miles from a
> major city. That ensures reasonable access art and culture resources.
> Only cities with median incomes above $50,000 a year and unemployment
> rates below the national average were included in our search.

This explains it. What, exactly, is a 'major city'??? If Boston
qualifies but Manchester doesn't, then that explains right there why so
few NH places made it on the list. It is a selection effect that
assumes that smaller communities are always bereft of art and cultural
resources, quite wrongly so. There are actually few towns in NH larger
than 6,000 which DON'T have significant art and cultural resources like
theater groups, art galleries, etc.

It is clear that the Money survey was cheap and based on faulty
assumptions that were lazily made in order to ignore doing real
research.

Beyond the above, the median income assumption ignores local cost of
living handicapping, tax burden, etc. For example, the per capita tax
burden in NH is somewhere around 3% for state and local taxes.
Contrasting this with other states that range from 10-20%, and you are
talking a very significant difference in ACTUAL median income vs gross
median income.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark