[extropy-chat] HISTORY: Solved & Unsolved Riddles

Mon Nov 10 15:46:23 UTC 2003

Natasha wrote:
> 3. Why is all life on earth asymmetric at a molecular level. The amino
> acids that make up proteins on earth all have a "left-handed"
> (levorotary) chirality and the sugars that make up
> carbohydrates are
> "right-handed" (dextrorotary). This is quite literally an extropic
> riddle because in any standard synthesis reaction occurring
> in nature
> (enzymatic reactions don't count because enzymes themselves are
> composed of these asymmetrically "left-handed" amino acids and you
> get the chicken or the egg problem) the resulting molecules are a
> racemic mixture i.e. composed of equal amounts of "left-handed" and
> "right-handed" molecules.

I would guess it had to do with the Coriolis  effect during evolution.  This
is the force that makes water spin one direction over the other while
flowing down the drain.  I would guess that it is easier for molecules to
bend in one direction compared to the other.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,