[extropy-chat] Depressing Thought. from Laurence of Berkeley

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 13 16:41:05 UTC 2003

> [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of
> kevinfreels at hotmail.com

> >From another perspective, aren;t the stockholders themselves
> >out to swindle the corporation and minimize their losses?...

Just assume that the top goal of every individual in
every corporation or society is to maximize the profits
for herself.  That assumption works just fine, and
pretty much explains everything.  So let that principle
be the ideal.  Any other system leads to trouble.

If one says the job of a CEO is to maximize profits
for stockholders, the original assumption still
applies, for the purpose of serving as CEO
is to maximize one's personal profit thru salary,
bonuses, stock appreciation and any other means
available.

If we are careful to build our societies and
corporations on this principle, we will not go
wrong.  Self interest is the very most reliable
and predictable of human responses.