[extropy-chat] Depressing Thought. from Laurence of Berkeley

Wed Nov 12 17:57:37 UTC 2003

kevinfreels at hotmail.com wrote,
> From another perspective, aren;t the stockholders themselves out to
swindle
> the corporation and minimize their losses? It's not like most
> stockholders give two shits about the company they have stock
> in as long as their stock is increasing in value. Once it
> starts to dip, they sell their stock and move on to something
> more fruitful. This manipulation of the company's stock in
> turn affects the value of the company. A really greedy and
> uncaring day can put a multi-million dollar company into
> bankruptcy. How is that any different?

It sounds the same to me.  The market maximizes profits, often at the
expense of other people.  A good product or a good company is no guarantee
that the market will favor it.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,