[extropy-chat] Self replicating computer programs ?

Emlyn O'regan oregan.emlyn at healthsolve.com.au
Fri Nov 14 01:42:33 UTC 2003

> It seems imprudent to propagate how-to instructions for the
> making of weapons or poisons until one has a *very* good
> antidote. Maybe.
>
> I think I'd rather test myself against someone else's "aggressive"
> weapon design then put my mind to the engineering problem of
> making and discussing a  better weapon myself. - Until I can find
> a way of doing a logical end-run around the whole grey-goo
> scenario.
>
> Sorry if that's clear as mud.
>
> Regards,
> Brett

It's clear, but I don't think it's valid. The only way to anticipate the
threats is to know what they are, so public dissemination of that info is
very useful. You are not actually broadcasting weapon making instructions,
only potential future weapon making instructions, and vague at that... it's
quite a ways off yet. So for now it is safe enough to talk about.

Later, it gets scary, but if we've been thinking hard, discussing the
problems, examples, etc, we should have the design for antidotes and
safeguards well before it's actually possible to build the weapons. So by
the time the tech turns up, we are prepared.

OTOH, if we keep it quiet, the tech will turn up eventually, and someone
*will* figure out how to make the weapons. The antidotes, however, which are
probably harder, may not turn up in time.

So I say, blab on!

Emlyn