[extropy-chat] Creativity and closed labs - was Self replicatingcomputer programs ?

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Fri Nov 14 23:35:22 UTC 2003

Chris Phoenix wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:28:57 +1100, "Brett Paatsch" wrote:
> > I'd be interested in others views on this. It would be real nice
> > not to have to engineer in secret for fear of empowering the
> > wrong folk but I am not sure that it is in fact as 'safe'? as you
> > think.
>
> I thought about this before publishing my nanofactory design
> paper.

I liked your paper. I'm glad you published it.

>My conclusion was that engineering in secret helps the
> bad guys more than it helps the good guys.  Openness helps
> the good guys, and (I think) to a lesser extent the bad guys.
> Secrecy allows the bad guys to help themselves, while doing
> nothing for the good guys.

> > Government closed labs can be very well funded.
>
> This argues that they can pay for a lot of creativity.

Not just creativity, also resources including human resources
as anciliary staff to do things such as search the net and patent
databases etc for what is currently know.  The NSA and similar
organisations have a fair amount of state of the art computing
grunt to throw at problem solving as well.

To me the Manhatten project, or to be more precise my
understanding of it which may be a different thing, was successful
not mainly because of the brilliance of Openheimer but because
of the formidable managment skills of General Groves.

Perhaps if my own forte was theoretical physics I'd take a
different view, but even Openheimer, (again as I understand him)
was a manager of people rather than just a scientist in the Manhattan
project.

> So  they're likely to have already thought of whatever you
> describe.

Technologically perhaps. Perhaps not. Independent minds can
be creative because they are independent and sometimes irreverent
about the knowledge domains they go into not because they are
necessary possessing the highest IQs.

.
> So the question is: is it better for the rest of us not to know what's
> in the labs, or to have some idea through independent work?

We cannot know what is in all the labs, I guess that seems pretty
obvious as we cannot know what creativity resides in each other
heads and into what areas of inquiry that creativity is directed.

We can know something of our own creativity and we can network
perhaps more effectively if we let others see what we are doing, but
perhaps it is not all others.  Perhaps a rifle shot rather than a shot
gun approach to knowledge sharing and mutual empowering is
warranted. I'm not sure. It may be a case of horses for courses.

> > Against the idea that technology (particularly weapons and
> > security related technology) is likely to be more advanced in
> > some government closed labs is the counterpoint that people
> > are extraordinarily bad at keeping secrets.
>
> So they may invent something, not tell anyone--but a bad guy steals it
> anyway.  A very bad outcome.

I don't find the good buy/ bad guy dichotomy all that compelling to be
honest because I don't think the folks we consider bad guys think that
that is what they are.

One mans terrorist really does seem like another mans freedom fighter.

[Sorry got to go.. Brett]