[extropy-chat] Social Implications of Nanotech

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Sun Nov 16 01:39:16 UTC 2003

Reason wrote:

> [...]
There is a huge difference between importance and feasibility. Even if
we agree, for the sake of argument, that medical problems are paramount
this does not affect the feasibiliy of "hardware" versus "bioware."

In particular, if I were given an infinite budget to implement medical
MNT, I would focus on "hardware" MNT first, because I think that this is
the best way to achieve "bioware" MNT. "Hardware" MNT gives us the tools
we need to achieve 'bioware" MNT.

My specific problem with bioware MNT relates to the control system. It
is perfectly reasonable to control hardware MNT with a macro-scale
control system. This is true even when the control system is itself
built using MNT hardware. By contrast, bioware MNT as Robin outlines it
will require a nanoscale distributed control system.

If you are looking for MNT support for medicine, I think you should look
first at macro-scale and perhaps micro-scale machinery built using
"hardware" MNT. Nano-scale bioware MNT requires an entire new level of
design.

Let's look at a few examples. It's clear that a MNT hardware economy can
generate massive improvements in medical technology, such as radically
improved artificial kidneys, artificial hearts, diagnostic equiment,
etc. However. autonomous nanoscale machines, or machinery that can
correct problems at the molecular level, will require a completely new
level of design.

In the context of Robin's original question, bioware is striclty a
secondary economic effect.