[extropy-chat] Social Implications of Nanotech

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Sun Nov 16 13:12:32 UTC 2003

On 11/15/2003, Dan Clemmensen wrote:
>I would suggest some minor changes as noted below

Thanks for the suggestions!

>I think the medical stuff , while it sounds good, is not relevant. There
>is a huge amount of additional design work to get from design of
>"hardware" (computers, furniture, etc.) to design of "bioware" of any type.
>I also think that energy-generation products and energy conservation
>products are more fundamentally important, and more feasible. Am I correct
>in assuming that energy is a fairly major component of current economic models?

Energy is probably around 1-2% of GDP, while medicine is about 14% in the
US.  Solar energy collection doesn't need atomic precision - what other
energy generation do you have in mind?

>>... As with PCs today, open source product design and file sharing of
>>stolen product designs could become issues.
>
>... The term "stolen" is value-laden.

Perhaps, but I don't see another term that so connotes the issue.  I grant
that file-sharing of copyrighted material may be a good thing, but it is
clearly theft under current law and widely recognized as such.

>I think that the cost of energy is a crucial marginal cost. It is almost
>certainly more important than the marginal marketing cost, unless I
>misunderstand the term "marketing" as used in economics. Mitigating
>against this is the fact that "radical MNT" may drive the marginal cost of
>energy toward zero.  ...

If you think the (marginal) cost of energy might go to zero, then unless
you have a story about how the (marginal) cost of marketing goes to zero, I
don't see how you can be confident that the cost of energy is the larger
cost.

>It is very difficult ot construct a "radical MNT" scenario that does not
>result in self-reproduction of local manufacturing. Therefore, it is not
>clear that this is a primary assumption. I take this as a consequence of
>assumptions 1 and 2.

Even if it does eventually, there may be an important time duration before
then.  The design problem may be very hard, after all.

Assistant Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323