[extropy-chat] nano in the press

Damien Broderick thespike at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 16 03:03:24 UTC 2003

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/11/14/1068674379368.html

< Nanotechnology will soon be able to fuse flesh and machines, creating a
fresh ethical debate about the future of humanity. Deborah Smith reports.

Professor Alan Goldstein has a big fear about his small science: that it
will change our species forever. By harnessing the power of nanotechnology -
the ability to assemble materials one molecule at a time - it will become
possible in future for bio-engineers to design materials to replace or
repair every part of the human body. It will also unleash the temptation to
enhance our abilities and senses. "Humans will metamorphose," he predicts.

The result could be something Goldstein dubs Homo technicus, a creature with
so many modifications and containing so many "smart" materials that it would
no longer qualify as a Homo sapien. "Homo technicus won't see like us, breed
like us, feed like us or need like us," he says. >

etc