[extropy-chat] Why no assembler design?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Nov 17 11:42:34 UTC 2003

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 06:03:33PM -0800, Hal Finney wrote:

> Here are a few possible but mutually exclusive answers:

Not necessarily. The world doesn't like boolean logic.

> 1. There is still considerable science to be done in order to learn how
> atoms and molecules behave in the detail necessary to design an assembler.

Yes. No new physics is involved, but creating and breaking bonds at a high
rate and good control is not something well studied. In fact, a large
fraction of chemists and physicists would deny it's even possible. Not
everybody reads widely outside of their speciality.

> 2. The science is known, but designing an assembler would be an enormous
> task due to its incredible complexity, taking hundreds or thousands of
> man years, and no one can afford to expend that effort.

How can you design something you can't validate? We don't have a simulator
precise enough to build the assembler in a virtual dry dock which would work
flawlessly once fabbed for the first time. The simulator/model will need
iterative refinement, using input from real-world data.

> 3. Designing an assembler would not be enormously complex, but it would
> still require a considerable investment in state of the art hardware
> and software tools, as well as engineering manpower, and no company
> has been willing to do that.

99.9% of potential designers aren't even aware that there's a whole new world
of design waiting to be discovered. Even if they did, the amount of R&D
required with a decade-delayed ROI would make that not a viable proposition
for the most of corporate industry (but for a few giants, which also tend to
have less resources for R&D and accordingly harsher internal evaluation
cycles).

> 4. Designing an assembler is relatively straightforward and it is clear
> that it could be done today with a modest effort, but since there is no
> way to build the resulting device, no one wants to go to the effort of
> coming up with a complete assembler design.

An assembler without a bootstrap route is worthless. Luckily, polymer
electronics (via inkjet) as top-down and self-assembly (as bottom-up) are
bound to meet somewhere in the middle.

> Answers 3 and 4 assume that merely designing an assembler is pointless;
> rather, effort should be devoted to designing an assembler which can be
> built from simpler tools, which is much more difficult.  Nevertheless it
> would seem that if the situation were close to case 4, it might be a
> worthwhile exercise just to make the technological potential more obvious.

A considerable desideratum is an interactive nanoscale simulator, with more
or less accurate forcefields and a good approximation of bond
breaking/formation (Brenner's potential is too specialized and too coarse,
but it's a step in the right direction).

We're having some promising packages in MMTK, PyMOL and VMD/NAMD,
unfortunately these are geared towards biomolecules. The mainstream is
apparently not interested in interactive build and simulation packages for
machine-phase suitable systems.

Remember, how NanoCAD tanked so pitifully? The reason is that the community
interested in the matter doesn't have enough skills and critical mass to
even write software.

ICBM: 48.07078, 11.61144 http://www.leitl.org