[extropy-chat] Social Implications of Nanotech (tiny rantlet)

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Mon Nov 17 01:48:22 UTC 2003

Jeff Davis wrote:

>Content-free waste of bandwidth follows.  Proceed at
>your own risk.
>
>--- Robin Hanson <rhanson at gmu.edu> wrote:
>

>>On 11/15/2003, Dan Clemmensen wrote:
>>

><snip>

>>>... The term "stolen" is value-laden.
>>>

>>Perhaps, but I don't see another term that so
>>connotes the issue.
>>

>How about "liberated"?, "initiative-accessible"?
>"proprietary-control compromised"?, "involuntarily
>open-sourced"?, "free-range"?, "pre-owned"?,
>"post-controlled"?, or my personal favorite,
>"off-white"?

These terms are also value-laden. Why not call it copyright
infringement? This is an objective technical description. You can
generalize to "patent and copyright infringment," but not to "IP
infringement."

This is like the difference between an Iraqi "freedom fighter" and an
Iraqi "terrorist." The use of either term to describe an Iraqi
beligerent is highly suspect. Unless you have very precise information
regarding the individual, you should use "fighter", "insurgent" or
"beligerent."   Precision is important, especially with value-laden words.

At least, thta's what I believe^H^H^H^H^H^H^H think.   :-)